The U.S.A is celebrating Independance day next week! and what better way to celebrate than with food recipes to make for your parties.
Below are just a few cake recipes from delish to bring to your 4th of July party.
1. July 4th Flag Cake
Ingredients: 2 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup whole milk, 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 4 large eggs, 2 cup, granulated sugar, unflavored gelatin, 4 tsp. cold water, 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup honey, quartered strawberries, 1 cup raspberries, 1/3 cup blueberries.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9 rectangular pan. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Place butter and milk in large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave until butter is melted, about 2 minutes; set aside.
- Place eggs in stand-mixer bowl with the whisk attachment and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until well combined.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk mixture, starting and ending with flour. Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey whipped cream: Place stand-mixer bowl in freezer to chill briefly.
- Place water in small microwave-safe shallow bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let stand until gelatin has bloomed (about 5 minutes; mixture will become solid).
- Place bowl in microwave and heat on low for 10 seconds or until mixture dissolves to syrup consistency. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place heavy cream in chilled stand mixer bowl and on medium-high speed beat until thick, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn mixer to lowest setting and add in honey and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- With the mixer still running, slowly add in gelatin mixture and beat until stiff peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- To assemble cake: Frost cake with honey whipped cream. Create blue corner with blueberries. Stripe cake with strawberries and raspberries.
2. Banana Pudding Cake
Ingredients: 1 box vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box, 1 (3.4 oz) box vanilla pudding mix, 2 cup cold milk, 1/2 cup Cool Whip, 1 1/2 cup butter softened, 5 cup powdered sugar, 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract, Pinch of kosher salt, 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. heavy cream, 2 bananas sliced, 1 cup crushed Nilla Wafers, Whole Nilla Wafers for garnish
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Line two round 9" cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Divide batter between cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cakes cool for 10 minutes in pans then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Make pudding: In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and milk and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Make buttercream frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, combine butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Add remaining sugar and heavy cream and beat until smooth.
- Assemble cake: Using a serrated knife, cut off the rounded top of each cake to level. Top one cake with a layer of pudding then top with most of the banana slices (reserve some for garnish). Place second cake on top and frost entire cake with buttercream, reserving about 1 cup to pipe on top. Press crushed Nilla wafers around the sides of the cake.
- Transfer remaining buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe large swirls around the top of the cake. Decorate with Nilla wafers and more banana slices.
3. Strawberry Crunch Cake
Ingredients: FOR THE CAKE - 1 box vanilla cake mix plus ingredients called for on box, 1 box strawberry cake mix plus ingredients called for on box. FOR THE FROSTING - 1 1/2 cup butter softened, 6 cup powdered sugar, 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 6 tbsp. heavy cream. FOR THE STRAWBERRY CRUNCH - 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries, 1/2 box Nilla wafers crushed, 3 tbsp. melted butterfresh strawberries for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line four 8” round cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray.
- Prepare each cake mix according to package instructions. Divide between prepared pans, making two vanilla cakes and two strawberry cakes. Bake according to package instructions. Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and about half of the powdered sugar until smooth. Add the remaining powdered sugar, vanilla and 4 tablespoons heavy cream and beat until fluffy. If the mixture is too stiff, add more heavy cream.
- Make the strawberry crunch: In a large Ziploc bag, crush freeze-dried strawberries and Nilla Wafers using a rolling pin. Add butter to bag and toss until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Place a dab of frosting on a cake plate (to keep cake in place) and place parchment strips on each side of the cake plate. Place down first strawberry cake and top with frosting, then top with first vanilla cake and frost. Repeat with the remaining strawberry and vanilla cakes. Frost sides, then cover the cake completely with strawberry crunch, pressing the mixtures all over the sides and top.
- Garnish the top of the cake with fresh strawberries, if desired, and serve.
4. Red Velvet Cake
Ingredients: FOR THE CAKE - Cooking spray, 1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened, 1 cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar, 2 tbsp. red food coloring. FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING - 2 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese softened, 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, 4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. Pinch kosher salt.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 8" round cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray. In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition then add vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Add buttermilk, vinegar, and red food coloring, beating to combine. Add remaining dry ingredients.
- Divide batter between prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Add more powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, if necessary, until frosting is thick and a nice spreadable consistency.
- Assemble cake: Using a serrated knife, level tops of cakes, reserving the scraps for decorating. Place one layer on cake stand or serving platter, then top with a thick layer of frosting and second cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Crumble reserved cake pieces and press onto sides of cake.
5. Blueberry Dump Cake
Ingredients: 6 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, Juice of ½ a lemon, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1 box yellow cake mix, 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter cut into small cubes, Whipped topping, for serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Pour into a 9"-x-13" baking pan. Pour cake mix on top and spread into a even layer. Dot top all over with butter and bake until top is golden and fruit is bubbly, 1 hour.
- Serve warm with whipped topping.
To see the other 20 delicious cake recipes for 4th of July, visit delish.com.