Today, homes across the country begin to receive their first invitation to participate in the 2020 Census. It’s go time! The Census Counts campaign, a collaborative campaign housed at The Leadership Conference Education Fund, is working in all 50 states, partnering with national and local organizations, and has the resources and training you need to Get Out the Count.
Here are three things that you can do today:
1. TWEET about the start of the 2020 Census and share a graphic. Check out these tweets as models.
2. JOIN United Way and Feeding America in their 2020 Census Digital Day of Action today. To help you get started, check out the 2020 Census Digital Day of Action toolkit, which includes social media copy, graphics, and additional resources.
3. CHANGE your call to action to direct people to 2020Census.gov to fill out their household questionnaire with their unique ID.
Prepare and protect your communities: In response to growing and existing threats to census participation, we want to lift up a few resources for your communities:
· Join an update call on the impact of coronavirus on the 2020 Census: Linked here you will find the Census Bureau's updated statement and guidance on operational changes and messaging. The Census Counts campaign and the Funders Census Initiative will hold an update call to discuss operational shifts and resources available in detail on Friday, March 13, at 1 p.m. ET. RSVP here to join.
· Census Data Confidentiality Pledge: MALDEF and The Leadership Conference Education Fund developed a census confidentiality protection pledge in an effort to boost confidence among hard-to-count populations. To sign the pledge, go to: http://bit.ly/ConfidentialityPledge and complete the form.
· Report Census Dis-/Mis-Information: To report inaccurate, fraudulent, or concerning information about the 2020 Census, go to censuscounts.org/report.
· Census Protection Hotlines: The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC, Arab American Institute, and NALEO Educational Fund have set up census protection hotlines in a number of languages. Check out the Census Protection Hotline Partner Toolkit and share the flyers and graphics.
STAY CONNECTED/ ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:
JOINING WEEKLY CAMPAIGN UPDATE CALLS TUESDAYS AT NOON: RSVP at bit.ly/rsvpcensuscall.
Check out CensusCounts.org for:
· Census outreach materials and a Get Out the Count Toolkit
· Census Messaging Guidance
· A census “chat bot” to answer your census questions (click the red circle)
· Training on census digital organizing
· To report inaccurate, fraudulent, or concerning information about the 2020 Census
· Guides on how to respond to the census online
This is an all hands on deck moment and we want to make it easy to get involved.
Together, with you we are driving change to ensure that communities that have long been marginalized and erased are seen, heard, and receive the rights and resources they deserve.